Sonoma County offers two use possibilities for our Heirloom Hand Built Little Houses.
1. Our Home Care Cottages qualify for use as Caregiver Cottages per Sonoma County Code Section 26-88-010(p).
Sonoma County Code Section 26-88-010(p).
Residential use of a travel trailer or recreational vehicle shall meet the following standards:
(1) Parcel shall be at least six thousand (6,000) square feet in size.
(2) Use of the travel trailer or recreational vehicle shall be limited to residential use by (a) an ill, convalescent or otherwise disabled friend or relative needing care from the occupant of the primary residence, or (b) a friend or relative providing necessary care for an ill, convalescent or otherwise disabled occupant of the primary residence. The need for care shall be documented by a letter from a physician.
(3) No more than two (2) people may occupy the travel trailer or recreational vehicle.
(4) The temporary unit may only be placed on a legal parcel with an existing primary residence.
(5) The temporary unit shall have an approved connection to the existing or expanded septic system or sanitary sewer system. The unit shall also have an approved connection to the existing well or a public water system.
(6) The temporary unit shall meet zoning setback requirements, scenic resource (SR) requirements and, where applicable, have approval from board or specific plan designated design review committees.
(7) The temporary unit must be currently licensed as required by the Vehicle Code of the state of California, have a valid state insignia and remain in a mobile condition.
(8) The temporary unit shall not be considered a separate residential unit for the purpose of calculating development impact fees (sewer system, park and traffic fees, etc.).
(9) The temporary unit shall not be rented, let or leased.
(10) An administrative permit for residential use of a travel trailer or recreational vehicle shall be obtained. Such permits shall expire one year from the date of issuance. Permits may be renewed annually. Permit and renewal applications shall be accompanied by a written statement, signed by the applicant under penalty of perjury, that the use will conform to the standards set forth in this subsection. Renewal applications shall be submitted prior to permit expiration and shall include an updated letter from a physician.
(11) Within sixty (60) days of cessation of the residential use described in subsection (q)(2) of this section, all occupancy of the unit shall cease and the unit shall be disconnected from all utilities and/or sewage disposal systems.
2. Our Little House on the Trailer may be located in RR (rural residential zones) as an additional dwelling per Sonoma County Code Sec. 26C-80 as follows:
Sec. 26C-80. – Permitted uses, subject to site development and erosion control standards.
The following uses are permitted except within a sensitive area, riparian corridor, critical habitat area, or unique feature designated in the general plan or coastal plan, in which case a use permit is required. Only those uses permitted in (a) and (b) are considered principal permitted uses. All clearing of vegetation, grading, excavation, fill or construction in association with these uses shall conform to the site development and erosion control standards.
(b) Residential Uses.
(1) Single-family detached dwelling units, in accordance with residential density shown in the general plan land use element or permitted by a B combining district, whichever is more restrictive. In the event that more than one such dwelling unit is placed on a single lot, the additional dwellings shall be clustered with the primary dwelling in order to minimize roads, drives, and utility extensions. The additional dwellings shall also be subject to design review approval. These unit(s) may be manufactured homes, but only one may be a manufactured home without a permanent foundation.
A manufactured home without a permanent foundation shall require prior approval of a zoning permit notice of which shall be posted at least ten (10) days prior to issuance, during which an appeal may be filed and processed pursuant to Section 26C-331. Issuance of the zoning permit shall be subject, at a minimum, to the following conditions:
a. The manufactured home shall be at least twelve feet (12′) in width except those that are owned and occupied on the effective date of the ordinance codified herein;
b. The manufactured home shall be skirted; all skirting shall be of a type approved by the state of California;
c. The manufactured home shall have one (1) patio awning with a minimum dimension of nine feet by twenty feet (9′ × 20′) and either a garage, carport or awning with a minimum dimension of ten feet by twenty feet (10′ × 20′) for covered parking;
d. The manufactured home sites shall be landscaped; and
e. The manufactured home shall be occupied by the owner of the property or a relative of the owner.